Question:

I was diagnosed when I was 7, and after 27 years am very fortunate to have the wonderful health that I have. Though not always the case, I now have very good control and monitor my sugars 4 or 5 times a day, and see my specialist on a regular basis. For the last year and a half I have been trying to become pregnant, with no success. I have been on Provera and 5 rounds of Clomid to stimulate ovulation, which has been successful. My hormone levels are all normal, as was my husband's sperm analysis.

I have heard that diabetes can affect fertility. Could you please explain in what way? My doctor is referring me to a specialist for further testing, but that won't be for another 3 months. If you could respond, I would greatly appreciate it. I should also mention that I generally have a problem with frequent hypos, although this may have no bearing on conception.

Answer:

Diabetes probably does not appear to directly affect fertility. I have had several patients with difficult to control diabetes who have managed to conceive. It sounds as if you are already doing everything correctly with respect to your diabetes. Therefore, follow-up with an infertility specialist is appropriate.

Posted to Family Planning