Question:

From Luxembourg:

I am 30 years old with type 1 diabetes since 10 years. My partner and I are thinking of trying to become pregnant but I am worried because twice this year my blood analyses have shown traces of microalbumin. Apart from that my HbA1c has been stable at 7.1%. In what way could this affect the pregnancy and the child?

Answer:

A small amount of proteinuria should not preclude pregnancy. I would recommend a 24 hour urine collection for total protein and creatinine clearance to further define your kidney function. Kidney function can worsen with pregnancy. As long as your blood sugar is under good control and your blood pressure is normal, then a good outcome can be anticipated.

Posted to Family Planning