From Houston,Texas, USA:

I am a Type 1 diabetic of 37 years, diagnosed at age 6. What is the longest period of time someone has ever survived with Type 1 diabetes?

I am aware of folks who have lived with Type 1 diabetes for 65 years or more. I think that one of the first individuals started on insulin (so Type 1 for probably 70 years or so) recently died, but really had no significant complications, so hang in there. Take the best care of yourself and your diabetes as possible.

Additional comments from Dr. Robertson:

Stanley Davidson, ex surgeon at my hospital, died earlier this year. I think he was 89. He developed diabetes in 1919 and survived 4 years on a starvation diet before being one of the first UK patients to receive insulin in 1923. He received a special award from the British Diabetes Association a few years ago.

Additional comments from Kris Swenson, diabetes nurse specialist:

Congratulations on your long journey with diabetes! There are many people who have lived a long and productive life and have received the 50 year medal from Eli Lilly and Company in celebration of the fact. I work with several people who are in their 70's and who got Type 1 diabetes as children. They are doing very well and have great stories to tell about the old equipment and old attitudes about treating diabetes. As our therapies have improved over the last few years, I am sure that thousands of people will live to a ripe old age and have diabetes. Up until now, it was not so dependent on your blood sugar but your gene pool. Now, we can offer improved insulins and knowledge in addition to your genetic luck brought by your parents. Wishing you continued success with your diabetes. As always, stay up to date on all that can be done and stay in charge of your own destiny.