Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

My daughter is 6 and has had type 1 diabetes for a year. Should I send her to school when her sugar is high? And how long does it take her to feel normal after a high reading?

Answer:

Rather that looking at the blood sugar alone, I would look at how your daughter is feeling. If she is sick with stomach ache, headache, and general malaise I would keep her home and monitor her diabetes closely, including ketone checks. If she is feeling well and has a random high sugar or two, I would send her to school and ask the school nurse to check her every two hours, administer insulin as per her sliding scale, and have her carry a water bottle so that she gets plenty of fluid. If there is no nurse available, perhaps you could set up a system where she would test with adult supervision and call you for direction. All of this is contingent on your level of comfort with the supervision your daughter has at school, but my general preference is to have the child at school as long as they feel well enough to learn.

LW

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Social Issues: School and Daycare