Question:

From Mason City, Iowa, USA:

My son began an onset of bedwetting at the age of 5. The doctors did a glyco-hemoglobin test and it came out to 6.3. They said the normal range is 4.3 to 6 and his is over the guidelines. Does this mean he has or will develop diabetes?

Answer:

I would hesitate to suggest that your son will develop diabetes based on one glycohemoglobin test of 6.3. In my practice, I would continue to follow your son with occasional screening urine tests for glucose, and continue to watch him for symptoms of diabetes such as excessive thirst, excessive hunger, frequent urination, and weight loss. Your physician may have other advice for you based on his or her experience.