From Brooksville, Florida, USA:

My granddaughter is 6 years old now. She was diagnosed before the age of 2 years. She lived with me for 4 years because her parents weren't able to cope. Now she is with her parents, and in the middle of a custody battle. I have found that she is having more and more problems controlling her blood sugars. She is having a very difficult time at school also. My daughter, her mother, is trying to spend more time and packing her lunch, because schools, don't always have things they need to eat, depending on the blood level. My question is the stress that she is going through at this time: is it more harmful for her to continue to be with one parent and then the other, or is it better for her to be in a one parent home with visiting with other parent? Wouldn't this help the stress that could be causing her to have high sugars?

She also wakes up with lows in the mornings, to the point I'm afraid she will have a seizure, or possible a insulin coma. I need help with a very difficult problem.

Stress can certainly cause difficulty with blood sugar control! I do not know this child or her family members, so I cannot advocate for a particular living situation. I do believe that stability within the home would help her out.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Your daughter should discuss such concerns with the child's doctor and the counselor on their diabetes team. If there isn't a counselor, it might be helpful for her to request a referral to a counselor.

Posted to Stress