Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from January 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. What documentation do you have about survival rates and health issues when the child is diagnosed before one year of age? (31 Jan 2000)

2. Our son will going to the USA, Florida. Eight years ago he got diabetes. Where we can got information about entry regulations? (31 Jan 2000)

3. My sister-in-law was recently hospitalised because of very high sugar levels. The doctors say that it is because of the Coxsackie virus which has destroyed the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. Is this condition is permanent or can the cells regenerate? Will she be a diabetic all her life? (31 Jan 2000)

4. Can you please tell me the guidelines that school lunchrooms must follow in order to meet our son's diabetic needs? (31 Jan 2000)

5. Our 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago. Lately, she has had periodic, short bouts (a few seconds) of dizziness and blackened vision. Is this common with Type 1? (31 Jan 2000)

6. Can you please make some suggestions as to some "portable" protein exchanges for my 10 year old Godson? (31 Jan 2000)

7. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed a year ago. She has had very good HbA1c levels, but she has microalbuminuria. Does this mean she is having kidney damage? (31 Jan 2000)

8. I'm a worried 14 year old girl. My grandmother has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the past two years. I'm afraid I have some symptoms of Typeá1 diabetes. Can you tell me early symptoms, and how to fight this? (31 Jan 2000)

9. Is insulin available without prescription in Australia and New Zealand? (31 Jan 2000)

10. I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 48 years. Someone told me today they heard on the news that a patch that of insulin could be placed under the skin. I was wondering if you would have any information on this and who could use it. (31 Jan 2000)

11. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed shortly before 12 years. She began menstruating 13 months ago but hasn't had any more periods during the past 7 months. She hasn't grown at all or developed physically during this time. Does diabetes affect growth and physical development? (30 Jan 2000)

12. I have a 5 year old son that was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 5 months old. I have been reading about Pramlintide. I have also heard this would help with digestive problems. I am very interested because my son cries with stomach cramps. (30 Jan 2000)

13. I'm a 15 year old, type 1 diabetic. I've had diabetes for almost a year. Currently I'm taking 3 shots a day. With this program, I've gained a lot of weight. Do you have any suggestions for how I can maintain my current weight? (29 Jan 2000)

14. My daughter was diagnosed at 11 months. At that time she was on formula (Nutramigen) and not eating solids. Could that have any contribution to her diabetes? (29 Jan 2000)

15. I am an 18 year old who is moving in with a 16 year old female who has been diagnosed with diabetes. I am looking for information and signs that I can look for in order to help. (29 Jan 2000)

16. My 15 year old son experienced several hypoglycemic seizures before we put him on a pump. This past summer he experienced a seizure on two occasions. A pediatric neurologist recommended Tegretol. Does anyone have data on whether Tegretol will help for hypoglycemic seizures? (29 Jan 2000)

17. My daughter 9 was diagnosed with type 1 recently. She has been in honeymoon and I think it may have ended. Last week her blood glucose level sky rocketed from averages of 90 to 170 throughout the day to 500+ with a few so high the meter would not give number. (29 Jan 2000)

18. I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have been asked to record my blood sugar 4 times a day. He says he will assess then if I need to go to a specialist and if I need to be on insulin therapy. Do I look like a candidate for insulin? (29 Jan 2000)

19. I have type 2 diabetes and take Glucophage. I want to take niacin to help lower my cholesterol and triglycerides levels, but was told it may affect my blood sugar readings. Is that true? (29 Jan 2000)

20. My 8 year old son was diagnosed about 15 months ago. I'm very interested in having my son use a pump. His doctors state that they usually don't consider them until late teens. How can I get them to consider one? (29 Jan 2000)

21. Is insulin released immediately when a non-diabetic eats? How long does that insulin last? Does it have a peak like NPH or Humalog does? How can it sense how much to release? (29 Jan 2000)

22. I'm 39 and just found out I'm a diabetic. I'm interested in the Schwartzbien Principle. I'm running up against major resistance with this doctor's theories. Could I please have your opinion? (29 Jan 2000)

23. My daughter was diagnosed last month with diabetes. She is 6 and a half years old. She takes food six times a day to meet her insulin. Is snacking between these feeding times with approved foods recommended or allowed? (27 Jan 2000)

24. My niece was diagnosed when she was 20 months old. She will be turning 4 in a few days. She lives in the New York metro area. Do you know of a facility or physician who might have worked or do work with type 1 diabetics that acquired the disease at such a young age? (27 Jan 2000)

25. I am a 53 year old man and have recently been diagnosed as having mild diabetes (blood sugar 7). I am experiencing heavy sweating mainly when I am hot or under exertion but sometimes for no reason. Is this a symptom of the diabetes? (27 Jan 2000)

26. My daughter is 9 and has had diabetes for 7 years. What could explain the fact that 2 weeks ago she was getting 1 or 2 units of Humalog in the morning along with 15 units NPH, nothing at lunch and by supper she had been running low (50's)? (27 Jan 2000)

27. The Michigan legislature has passed a driving law that says that if you have a reaction, you cannot get a driver's license. No mention of where or when any reaction may occur. Are there any other States that have these legislative chains surrounding diabetics? Is there anything being done to repeal this legislation? (27 Jan 2000)

28. My daughter is 16 years old. She was diagnosed at age 8. Four years ago, she started taking extra insulin and eating inappropriately. She spent the next two years in counseling. Then she started taking huge doses of Regular insulin (up to 100 units). She was in insulin shock 3-4 times per week. (27 Jan 2000)

29. I attended a conference about 2 years ago where one of the presenters talked about children diagnosed with type 1 prior to the age of 5 tend to have difficulties with some fine motor skills. Do you have any information on this or suggestions as to where to look for this? (27 Jan 2000)

30. When is it appropriate to go to the hospital with too low blood sugars? (27 Jan 2000)

31. We have been everywhere with my son, trying to find some help and answers, etc. I guess to summarize at this point, he has very rapid spikes and falls in his blood sugars when he has any form of concentrated sweets/sugars, during which time his mental status changes as a result. (27 Jan 2000)

32. I am a new RN and recently began working at a Children's hospital. I am working on the floor that cares for all of the diabetics from birth - 18. I was just wondering if you could suggest a few reference books for me to consider purchasing. (25 Jan 2000)

33. My antiGAD test came back at 6.3. Is this low? What thyroid antibodies should I have checked? (25 Jan 2000)

34. My 9 year-old son uses 3 types of insulin, often in combination. Two of the caps on the bottles are the same color, increasing the likelihood that the wrong bottle will be grabbed and an incorrect dosage administered. Why doesn't the FDA mandate that all insulin bottle tops have distinctive color caps? (25 Jan 2000)

35. What are your feelings/recommendations on the Chicken Pox and Pneumonia vaccinations for a 2 1/2 year old with type 1? We all ready have received the first part of our flu shot. (25 Jan 2000)

36. Are there any special nutrients that diabetics need in their diet? If so, what are they? (25 Jan 2000)

37. My niece is 11 years old. She was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes approximately 1 year ago. She became ill yesterday and the doctors say she has protein and sugar in her urine. They have placed her in the hospital. What does this indicate and just how serious is this? (25 Jan 2000)

38. My 8 year old granddaughter will be spending Thanksgiving with me. She has three insulin injections a day and still has high blood sugar count (200-over 300). What can I prepare for her that will not make her sugar go up, and what do I do when the sugar goes high between injections? (25 Jan 2000)

39. Since Novo-Nordisk does not make a "fast acting regular" insulin, can you mix Lilly's Humalog with Novo-Nordisk's Novolin N or Novolin L? (25 Jan 2000)

40. My eight year old son is experiencing many symptoms (extreme mood swings, irritability, headaches, sweating at night, etc.). Is hypoglycemia genetic? My dad was hypoglycemic. (25 Jan 2000)

41. Just about 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. If I go to a party and I know they are having cake and ice cream, how will I know how much insulin to give myself? (25 Jan 2000)

42. My 8 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 6. During the past few weeks it occurred on 3 occasions that he had a severe low blood sugar reaction shortly after the 6áP.M. insulin shot. Did we happen to inject directly in blood vessels? (25 Jan 2000)

43. My 4 1/2 year old was diagnosed with type 1 two years ago, and she recently had an iron test done for her pre-school. The results were that she has low iron and low red blood cells. Does this have anything to do with her diabetes? (25 Jan 2000)

44. I'm concerned about my best friend's son who is 8 with type 1 diabetes. He drinks 4 or 5 diet drinks every day and chews sugar free gum constantly. Does the body recognize the sweet flavor and try to release insulin even though there are no carbohydrates involved? (22 Jan 2000)

45. My wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had been on diet and exercise only for 1 week, but levels over 100 for fasting made her dietitian ask for insulin shots at bedtime. Any wisdom to share? (22 Jan 2000)

46. I have a family member who is now 19 years old and has type 1 diabetes all his life. I was wondering what kind of effects type 1 diabetes has on life span. (22 Jan 2000)

47. I am wondering if I can get any information on how much sugars, and of what kinds, different fruits and vegetables have. The amounts of sugars are very important to my diet. (22 Jan 2000)

48. I am 13 years old and have had Type 1 for 8 months. Since I was put on insulin, I have terrible problems with gas. Is this a common problem and what can I do about it please? It's embarrassing. (22 Jan 2000)

49. I am 19 years old and have had Type 1 for 4 years. Why do girls with diabetes develop some degree of atherosclerosis in adulthood? (22 Jan 2000)

50. I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What immediate dietary changes can I make to help control the diabetes? I am 32 years old and this is my first child. I plan to start a mild exercise program of walking around my neighbourhood starting immediately. Is that okay? (22 Jan 2000)

51. Would you please clarify what is the difference between the type 1 and type 2 diabetes? (21 Jan 2000)

52. I have a 4 year old child who urinates once every 60 to 90 minutes during the day. Should I be concerned? (21 Jan 2000)

53. Our 12 year old son, who has Type 1 diabetes, was diagnosed approximately 12 weeks ago. After achieving initial near perfect control regarding his blood sugar and diet, we are experiencing problems with both 'lows' and 'highs'. (21 Jan 2000)

54. Every day we see parents sending Gatorade to school with their children because they believe it is a health drink. People believe their children will be athletes if they drink enough of this stuff. Do you have information that will convince people about the dangers of Gatorade? (21 Jan 2000)

55. I read about the FDA review of the GlucoWatch. Do you know whether there are any tests here in Germany or do you have any information where to get the GlucoWatch if the review is finished? (16 Jan 2000)

56. I am 12 years old and was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The shots barely ever hurt during and right after I administer them. Although, about 5 minutes after the shot the area will really start to hurt. Is this something I should be worried about? (16 Jan 2000)

57. I'm 13 and it's becoming really hard for me to control my diabetes. Please help. Are there things I can do? Like, is there some type of tablet that I can take to help control my diabetes other than my insulin? (16 Jan 2000)

58. My father has developed severe pain in the upper left area of his stomach. He was diagnosed nine months ago with diabetes. Is the abdominal pain related and if so, is there any treatment? (16 Jan 2000)

59. I have a nephew who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 9 months old. He is now 3 1/2 years and the last few days clumps of hair have been falling out. Is this hair loss a result of his diabetes? (16 Jan 2000)

60. My son (9 years old) has type 1 diabetes. It is difficult to find books in English on diet for children in this country. Can you suggest a diet schedule for whole day? (16 Jan 2000)

61. My husband, who controls his diabetes with pills (for 5 years now), is an over-the road truck driver. If and when he has to go on insulin, will he lose his commercial driver's license? (16 Jan 2000)

62. Our daughter has been potty trained for two months. Recently I noticed in increase in her thirst and urination. Ketones were present in the urine. Are ketones normally present in urine and what should we be concerned about if the there is sugar in her urine? (16 Jan 2000)

63. My granddaughter is 15 months old and has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My daughter-in-law is having problems in finding foods to feed her that are nutritious and will alleviate the spiking. Do you have any suggestions? (16 Jan 2000)

64. I have a neighbor that has a 8 year old diagnosed 3 years ago with Type 1 diabetes and I've noticed that she feeds her a lot of candy and sugar and uses it as substitutions for a nutritious meal. Please give me some advice. (16 Jan 2000)

65. I am presently taking 2ámg of Amaryl and 1000ámg of Glucophage a day. I would like to know all there is to know about Amaryl and if it can eventually "push" you into shots (insulin shots). I heard that in a chat room for diabetics and want to know the truth. (16 Jan 2000)

66. I'm in a state of total confusion about what has gone on with my four year old daughter the last two days. I just can't figure out what is happening with her low numbers. (16 Jan 2000)

67. My daughter is in Kindergarten and needs easy snacks that will travel to school. (15 Jan 2000)

68. My nine year old daughter has had diabetes for almost a year. Over the last month she has begun to lose weight, about three pounds so far. Her appetite is good. She has a regularly scheduled visit to her doctor in about a month. What could possible reasons for the weight loss be, and should I schedule an earlier visit? (15 Jan 2000)

69. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed 9 months ago with type 1. I have heard something about not bringing the "high's" down too rapidly, but I can't remember why. Can you explain that? (15 Jan 2000)

70. I was told that if you put insulin on your food you can eat anything you want. Is this true? (15 Jan 2000)

71. Where in the Greater Washington area can we find a store that cells diabetic foods and snacks? (15 Jan 2000)

72. My 11 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. My 8 year old daughter had a physical and the doctor said she had trace glucose in her urine. I checked her sugar on my son's meter; it was 107. Does this mean that my daughter will most likely develop diabetes down the road? (15 Jan 2000)

73. I recently fell and received multiple injuries. I was diagnosed with diabetes shortly after. My doctor said it showed up when I was in the hospital and he thinks the trauma most likely caused it. (15 Jan 2000)

74. Our 11 year old daughter has been IDDM since she was 6. She has been well for five years, until the last few months when she started experiencing nocturnal vomiting with accompanying back pain, erratic blood sugar levels, and, more recently, nighttime hypo's. (15 Jan 2000)

75. My granddaughter is six years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 3. Do you know of any support groups for her in our area? She seems angry a lot and has never been with other children with diabetes. (11 Jan 2000)

76. My brother's son was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus at age 4 months. Is this probable? At such a young age? (11 Jan 2000)

77. I have a big problem. I desperately need that tests but are very expensive in Romania (30 US$=50 tests). I need 100 tests/month. A medium salary in my country is 80 US$. I think it is normal to receive tests for free, but in Romania this is not possible. Please, maybe you can advise me how can I find a way to have these tests every month. (11 Jan 2000)

78. I have a friend who is 21 years old and type 1 diabetic since she was 8 years old. I am very worried about her. She is using her insulin to lose weight and to keep it off. Where can we get help for her? How can we help her? (11 Jan 2000)

79. I am trying to locate information on the Metabolic Activation Treatment, also known as the Hepatic Activation Treatment. (11 Jan 2000)

80. We we're wondering if there are any studies or statistics informing us on the glycemic control of diabetic children aging from 10 to 15 years of age. (11 Jan 2000)

81. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 2 years ago. She will be eight in a month. We went for her check up today and the doctor said her thyroid was enlarged. He took blood for a thyroid test. Do I need to be concerned? (11 Jan 2000)

82. My husband is 31 years old and is now having to take shots. What is a normal blood glucose count for a male age 31 and about 195 pounds? (11 Jan 2000)

83. My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. A lot of people have told me that this is a permanent disability and he is eligible for SSI Benefits. I would like to know if this is true. (11 Jan 2000)

84. Can you help me find a place to buy the NiteBite bar on the Internet? (11 Jan 2000)

85. Can insulin be given IV push [intravenously, pushed into the vein by syringe]? I am a new nurse and this was a sliding scale order for one of my patients. (11 Jan 2000)

86. My grandson, age 12, has had type 1 diabetes for about 6 months. He loves sugar and counts carbs but has sugar cereal for breakfast, Twinkies, etc., for snacks and feels as long as he doesn't go over his carb allowance this is okay. Is this a problem? (11 Jan 2000)

87. I am 15 and was diagnosed 4 years ago. At first I was okay with everything. But in the past 6 months I've become more upset and worried over this disease. My friends have said they've noticed a change in my attitude lately. What could be causing my attitude change all of the sudden? (11 Jan 2000)

88. My 5 1/2 year old son was diagnosed almost 1 year ago. His blood sugar readings are still like a roller coaster -- some days way high, some days low, not necessarily at the same times of the day. His diet is fairly consistent from day to day. What could be the explanation for such inconsistencies in readings? (11 Jan 2000)

89. My 16 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes three months ago. We now have good control of his blood sugars (ranging from 95-110), but he seems to get sick a lot. Is this due to the diabetes or another problem? (11 Jan 2000)

90. I'm told to have an evening snack, but I don't quite understand the effect of the snack since if I do or don't have an evening snack my A.M. fasting is really the same. So what purpose is the evening snack really serving, I'd rather not have the additional calories? (8 Jan 2000)

91. I am 30 years old and 11 weeks pregnant. Over the past 2 weeks I have been monitoring my blood sugars as I had been feeling quite light headed. I have often found them to be 2.5 and 2.8 only 1-2 hours after eating a full meal. Could the hypoglycemia be the beginning of gestational diabetes? (8 Jan 2000)

92. I am a 27 year old male. I was diagnosed almost a year ago. After 2 months my doctor took me off of insulin. I figure I am on my honeymoon. I have been off insulin for 9 months. Should I go back on NPH at a very low dose or just keep enjoying my honeymoon? (8 Jan 2000)

93. I took my 6 year old for a routine check. A urine test was positive for sugar. He is asthmatic and had been on steroids for 5 days. They did a finger prick glucose test which was 305. The doctor on duty thought it could still be due to the steroids. (8 Jan 2000)

94. My 4 year old was diagnosed at 21 months with type 1. My 22 month old is now having blood glucoses in the 60's and urinating heavily. He seems unusually tired and is thirsty a lot. Is it normal for him to have blood glucoses in the low 60's or could he be developing diabetes also? (8 Jan 2000)

95. I am a 29 year old type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at the age of 13. I have recently joined a gym and am having a horrible time with blood sugars. I drop at least 200 points (blood sugar, food equivalent) at every workout. Do you have any suggestions? (8 Jan 2000)

96. My 18 year old son is going off to college soon and we have been working on carbohydrate counting in relation to planning his meals. How can he convert fat grams into equivalent carbo grams for use in planning regular insulin doses? (8 Jan 2000)

97. I have type 1 and type 2. I have been getting worn out easily, my stomach hurts, and I am never hungry and don't want to eat! I don't understand! Does it have to do with me having both types? (8 Jan 2000)

98. My daughter is 10 years old and was diagnosed three months ago. Recently her lunchtime sugars have been high so we may give her some Humalog to bring it down at lunchtime. Would we be better off to give 4 shots a day (Humalog at the 3 meals and NPH at bedtime)? (8 Jan 2000)

99. I am 42 and I have type 2. Can the pill make you feel floating and nervous? (6 Jan 2000)

100. My mom has type 1. She is 62 and going blind. Can anything be done to her eyes to save them? (6 Jan 2000)

101. My husband is diabetic and I am searching for some cookbooks that would include "country cooking." (6 Jan 2000)

102. Today I received a phone call from my cousin in Mexico City, Mexico. Her little 5 year old has diabetes and they were told that there is a new medication in the USA that will help them stop the injections. Is there any place they can find this medication? (6 Jan 2000)

103. In Type 1 diabetes, do you lose weight from having high blood sugars, or by having high blood sugars and no insulin? (6 Jan 2000)

104. My son age 6 was diagnosed about 10 months ago. His doctor recently test his cortisone level and it is low. Could you explain to me what cortisone is and what treatment there are for this and are there any side effects? (6 Jan 2000)

105. I am looking to get the "green light" from my endocrinologist to start trying to get pregnant for the first time. I am currently taking 3 shots a day. My last glycohemoglobin was 6.4. My doctor is really encouraging me to switch to the insulin pump. I am worried about switching to an insulin pump. (6 Jan 2000)

106. What is the success rate/statistics of Pancreatic Islet Cell Transplantation? My husband is 30 years old and has had Diabetes Type 1 for five years. He is interested in getting this transplant. (6 Jan 2000)

107. My sister was diagnosed when she was eight years old -- she is now 21. She has never been stable, I feel, due in part to our semi-functional family support system and in part due to poor management of her disease. She is struggling physically, mentally and emotionally (and to add another, financially). (6 Jan 2000)

108. Our daughter, age 10, tests her blood sugars at least four times a day. My mom, 84, was diagnosed Type 2. Because of our daughter's strict control, I have a problem with the fact that my mom's blood sugars are monitored only once a week. (6 Jan 2000)

109. My daughter is 20 and a college Sophomore. Her problem is eating healthy at school. She is required to have 3 snacks per day plus meals and it is very hard to find snacks that have the right carbs, and don't need refrigeration. (5 Jan 2000)

110. My daughter is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are wondering how to handle the time change to Standard Time this week-end and still maintain our daily schedule (i.e., doing meals, blood tests, and insulin with 30 minutes of same time each day). (5 Jan 2000)

111. I use an insulin pump, and it started hurting so I took it out. Now the site is puffed up, red, and hurts. What can I do about this? (5 Jan 2000)

112. What foods are recommended for a person with hypoglycemia? I read carbohydrates are good, but sugar has carbs in it, too. I am a little confused. (5 Jan 2000)

113. My 15 year old type 1 diabetic son was diagnosed 11 years ago. The last year his blood sugars have been very erratic. The endocrinologist has finally suggested a pump, but my son does't take his shots and carb counting too seriously. How do I get him to take this along with the complications seriously? (5 Jan 2000)

114. How young can a child get type 1 diabetes? My 3 year old becomes very tired, whiney and slows down until he gets some food in his system. I was seriously gestationally diabetic with him and my husband's father had Typeá1 and died at a young age. Should I be concerned? (3 Jan 2000)

115. My son has had Diabetes Type 1 for just over a year. He is 12 years old. Last week he broke his ankle and will be in a cast for 4 weeks. Do I need to be concerned about his recuperation? (3 Jan 2000)

116. My son (11 years old) was diagnosed as diabetes Type 1 a month ago. He had 800 mg/dL sugar when we went to hospital. He had all the symptoms like excessive thirst, excessive urination, excessive hunger weight loss, fatigue, high blood sugar level, and sugar and ketones in the urine. (3 Jan 2000)

117. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago. I know he was tested for antibodies and he did have them. He entered the hospital with a blood sugar level of 350 and no ketones. Is there anyway he can be a borderline diabetic? (3 Jan 2000)

118. Can an infant (under age 1) develop diabetes? If so, what are the symptoms of diabetes in an infant? Are there irreversible complications if an infant is not promptly diagnosed and treated for diabetes? (3 Jan 2000)

119. I am 14 years old. I was researching diabetes and I have some of the symptoms and I wanted to know if this is normal for a 14 year old or am I at risk for diabetes? (3 Jan 2000)

120. How is the treatment of MODY different from treatment of Typeá1 and Type 2? (1 Jan 2000)

121. Do you have any information on using a heart rate monitor to monitor or catch hypoglycemia in children or adults with typeá1 diabetes? (1 Jan 2000)

122. I am currently using the Novopen 3.0 with Actrapid. My doctor has prescribed lispro for me but Novo Nordisk don't produce this. Will Lispro cartridges work with my pen? (1 Jan 2000)

123. How does stress affect children with diabetes? Does it have a part in sugar levels changing so rapidly? (1 Jan 2000)

124. I am nearly 16, and have had diabetes for nearly 6 years now. One of my pen-pals in Canada has invited me to stay with her next summer. I asked my mum, but she said no. I really want to go, but I feel my mum is using my diabetes against me! (1 Jan 2000)

125. I have a teenage daughter who is not overweight and we're not sure if she's MODY or Type 2. Are there any tests other than genetic testing that could help in the determination? (1 Jan 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts