From Michigan, USA:

My 15 year old type 1 diabetic son was diagnosed 11 years ago. The last year his blood sugars have been very erratic, very high in A.M., normal in P.M. and high again at night. The endocrinologist has finally suggested a pump, but my son does't take his shots and carb counting too seriously. He has a "whatever" attitude. I try to explain that he needs to not only diabetic, but also diligent about his care in order to be a good candidate for pump therapy. How do I get him to take this along with the complications seriously?

At 15, this young person feels immortal: like nothing bad can happen. It is normal for a young person of this age to have a "whatever" attitude. However, he would not be a good pump candidate with that attitude. I would not put anyone on a pump unless he/she was very responsible about self care.

Posted to Behavior and Insulin Pumps