From New Jersey, USA:

What foods are recommended for a person with hypoglycemia? I read carbohydrates are good, but sugar has carbs in it, too. I am a little confused.

I am unsure if you are referring to hypoglycemia for someone who has diabetes or someone who does not have diabetes.

• For hypoglycemia for someone who has diabetes: Fast-acting carbohydrates are needed (glucose tabs, fruit juice, etc.) as quickly as possible.
  • For someone who does not have diabetes and hypoglycemia (but has shakiness, weakness, etc): We usually recommend that fast-acting carbohydrates, as candies, fruits, juices only be eaten as part of a meal or snack, not eaten separately. So if you want to have some candy, fruits, juices have them as part of a meal or snack or with a food that has protein and/or fat in it, as some crackers and milk. Oftentimes eating several small meals with protein-rich foods (as lean meat, cheese, milk, yogurt) in each of those meals/snacks helps prevent the start of hypoglycemia.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia