Question:

From Canton, Massachusetts, USA:

My son age 6 was diagnosed about 10 months ago. His doctor recently test his cortisone level and it is low. Could you explain to me what cortisone is and what treatment there are for this and are there any side effects?

Answer:

Cortisol is a chemical made by the adrenal glands in the abdomen. Cortisol influences many processes in the body including metabolism of food, mediating inflammatory processes such as arthritis and infections, and salt and water balances. The body's cortisol level also changes from hour to hour over the day and night. I would encourage you to talk to your physician about a low cortisol level and the implications of having a low cortisol. Most conditions that cause low cortisol levels can easily be treated effectively.

[Editor's comment: The words "cortisol" and "cortisone" are used almost interchangeably in many medical situations, such as this one, although technically they are slightly different chemical compounds. WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications