From Decatur, Alabama, USA:

My husband is diabetic and I am searching for some cookbooks that would include "country cooking." We have diabetic cookbooks, but they are for recipes that we have no taste for. Any help?

I don't know of any specific "diabetic" cookbooks for country style cooking. However, I do have a couple of suggestions. Many recipes in diabetes cookbooks are little different from everyday recipes. It's just that the ones in the books have had nutritional information figured out for them. This information helps people fit the foods into their meal planning approach -- whether its based on counting carbohydrates, food exchanges, or a calorie meal plan. There are several software packages and websites that you can use to calculate the nutritional content of your own recipes.

In addition, you can check out the website of the American Dietetic Association at On their site, you can find a referral to registered dietitians in your area who can help you with the analysis or modification of your recipes. Many recipes can be made more diabetes-friendly and heart healthy with changes to just a few ingredients.