Question:

From Marlboro, New Jersey, USA:

I am trying to get my fasting blood sugars in the 90's on less insulin. They are in the 90's when I take 14 units of NPH. I'm told to have an evening snack, but I don't quite understand the effect of the snack since if I do or don't have an evening snack my A.M. fasting is really the same. So what purpose is the evening snack really serving, I'd rather not have the additional calories?

Answer:

In general, the bedtime snack is to prevent hypoglycemia overnight and/or to provide adequate calories and nutrition.

LM