From Marlboro, New Jersey, USA:

I am trying to get my fasting blood sugars in the 90's on less insulin. They are in the 90's when I take 14 units of NPH. I'm told to have an evening snack, but I don't quite understand the effect of the snack since if I do or don't have an evening snack my A.M. fasting is really the same. So what purpose is the evening snack really serving, I'd rather not have the additional calories?

In general, the bedtime snack is to prevent hypoglycemia overnight and/or to provide adequate calories and nutrition.