Question:

From Romania:

I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 years ago. I use a meter three times a day to see my blood sugar level. I have a big problem. I desperately need that tests but are very expensive in Romania (30 US$=50 tests). I need 100 tests/month. A medium salary in my country is 80 US$. I think it is normal to receive tests for free, but in Romania this is not possible. Please, maybe you can advise me how can I find a way to have these tests every month. It is very important for me.

Answer:

No matter where you live, if you find it difficult to pay for diabetes supplies, ask your medical team if they can provide you with free samples. Also, contact the local representative of the company that makes the product and ask if they have a program to help pay for supplies for people who need them but can't afford them.

JSH