From Athens, Georgia, USA:

My granddaughter is six years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 3. Do you know of any support groups for her in our area? She seems angry a lot and has never been with other children with diabetes. I thought a child's support group may help.

For diabetes support groups in your granddaughter's area, phone the local chapters of the American Diabetes Association or the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They should have an up-to-date list of support groups held, who the participants are and other details that would be helpful. Another resource would be a diabetes educator in your area. I recommend you phone the American Association of Diabetes Educators (1-800-TEAM UP 4) for a listing.

Additional comments from Joyce Mosiman:

I would start by calling your local American Diabetes Association for any information they may have regarding groups. I would also tell the physician who is caring for your granddaughter about this concern and they will be able to direct you to the appropriate people for help. I would definitely get help as these are signs that should not be ignored at any age.

[Editor's comment: You could start by showing her the stories in Kids' Voices. JSH]