Question:

From Athens, Georgia, USA:

My granddaughter is six years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 3. Do you know of any support groups for her in our area? She seems angry a lot and has never been with other children with diabetes. I thought a child's support group may help.

Answer:

For diabetes support groups in your granddaughter's area, phone the local chapters of the American Diabetes Association or the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They should have an up-to-date list of support groups held, who the participants are and other details that would be helpful. Another resource would be a diabetes educator in your area. I recommend you phone the American Association of Diabetes Educators (1-800-TEAM UP 4) for a listing.

KS

Additional comments from Joyce Mosiman:

I would start by calling your local American Diabetes Association for any information they may have regarding groups. I would also tell the physician who is caring for your granddaughter about this concern and they will be able to direct you to the appropriate people for help. I would definitely get help as these are signs that should not be ignored at any age.

JM

[Editor's comment: You could start by showing her the stories in Kids' Voices. JSH]