Question:

From Bethesda, Maryland, USA:

I am asking this question for my grandmother who has Diabetes, type 1. Where in the Greater Washington area can we find a store that cells diabetic foods and snacks?

Answer:

I do not remember which stores in the DC area sold sugar free products. I know that the Silver Diners sold sugar free pies if you order them in advance, and they were delicious. (They have them all over the DC area). I think that just going to the Internet will be helpful. Also, most major supermarkets have lots of sugar-free items.

JWB

Additional comments from Kris Swenson, diabetes nurse specialist:

I think it should be added that sugar free products will raise blood sugar and are an unnecessary expense for most people. A carb is a carb is a carb for most people and any product with carb will need insulin to cover.

KS

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

We usually do no recommend the sugar-free products due to side effects of the sweeteners and the usual "off taste." A small amount of a regular dessert (as cake, plain cookies, pie) will probably be about the same in calories, cost less, and taste as you would want it to, so I would suggest using those desserts or a piece of fresh fruit.

LSF

[Editor's comment: The following web page lists some stores and sites that have sugar-free products: Companies that Sell Sugar-Free Foods. JSH]

Additional comments added 12 Feb 2000