From West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA:

My nine year old daughter has had diabetes for almost a year. We have managed to keep it well controlled. She is very active, playing soccer, partaking in gymnastics, etc. When originally diagnosed she had lost weight, which she soon put back on after receiving treatment. However, over the last month she has begun to lose weight again, about three pounds so far. Her appetite is good. She has a regularly scheduled visit to her doctor in about a month. What could possible reasons for the weight loss be, and should I schedule an earlier visit?

I'd be worried about unexplained weight loss. An overactive thyroid as well as underactive adrenal glands or celiac disease could be the explanation. I would suggest contacting her physician and getting an earlier appointment so that a hemoglobin A1c can be checked. If the A1c is in good range, then the weight loss is not from high sugars/poor control and you should go looking to find an alternative explanation.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss