From Michigan, USA:

I am presently taking 2 mg of Amaryl and 1000 mg of Glucophage a day [both are pills for Type 2 diabetes]. I would like to know all there is to know about Amaryl and if it can eventually "push" you into shots (insulin shots). I heard that in a chat room for diabetics and want to know the truth.

It is good to ask questions and know all you can about your diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease which typically starts with insulin resistance causing your body to make large amounts of insulin to keep the blood sugar normal. As the years go by, insulin production decreases and blood sugar starts to rise. Amaryl is used to increase the amount of insulin you make and Glucophage is used to make you more sensitive to that insulin while helping to decrease the amount of sugar produced by the liver. Using them in combination is very effective for most people in lowering the blood sugar.

But, diabetes changes with time as your pancreas slowly decreases its release of insulin. Amaryl does not cause this; it is the natural progression of Type 2 diabetes. Overtime, people find these pills don't help them release the amount of insulin they need. This is when insulin is added and should not be seen as the enemy. High blood sugar is the enemy to your health, not the treatments you take. If you do not have a diabetes educator to help you, please contact the American Association of Diabetes Educators (1-800-TEAM UP 4) to find someone in your area. Knowing all you can about your diabetes will help make the journey easier.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes and Type 2