Question:

From Brooklyn, Connecticut, USA:

Our daughter is 2 years 7 months. She has been potty trained for two months. Recently I noticed in increase in her thirst and urination frequency. I mentioned it to our family practitioner. Our daughter gave a first morning urine sample. Ketones were present in the urine. We are going to repeat the test in the morning along with a test for sugar. Are ketones normally present in urine and what should we be concerned about if the there is sugar in her urine?

Answer:

Ketones may be present in the urine of people without diabetes (and with diabetes) when there is fat breakdown. This normally occurs after a period of no food such as overnight. Ketones without glucose in the urine would not make me concerned about diabetes. However, do work with your child's doctor for a full evaluation.

LM