From Brooklyn, Connecticut, USA:

Our daughter is 2 years 7 months. She has been potty trained for two months. Recently I noticed in increase in her thirst and urination frequency. I mentioned it to our family practitioner. Our daughter gave a first morning urine sample. Ketones were present in the urine. We are going to repeat the test in the morning along with a test for sugar. Are ketones normally present in urine and what should we be concerned about if the there is sugar in her urine?

Ketones may be present in the urine of people without diabetes (and with diabetes) when there is fat breakdown. This normally occurs after a period of no food such as overnight. Ketones without glucose in the urine would not make me concerned about diabetes. However, do work with your child's doctor for a full evaluation.