From Freeport, Maine, USA:

My eight year old son is experiencing many symptoms (extreme mood swings, irritability, headaches, sweating at night, etc.). Is hypoglycemia genetic? My dad was hypoglycemic and is now a stage two diabetic. My mother-in-law and my husband's aunt are both diabetic (one is insulin dependent). I've contacted our pediatrician and am awaiting his decision on whether or not we should test our son.

I would refer you to your pediatrician or endocrinologist for individual advice. The symptoms you describe could be from many things, and over the Internet we wouldn't be able to comment. There are some genetic disorders which result in hypoglycemia, but they would be different from diabetes.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Genetics and Heredity