Question:

From Maryland, USA:

I have a daughter, age 12, diagnosed at age 3.5 with type 1 diabetes. I attended a conference about 2 years ago where one of the presenters talked about children diagnosed with type 1 prior to the age of 5 tend to have difficulties with some fine motor skills and also some scholastic skills. I have misplaced his documentation. Do you have any information on this or suggestions as to where to look for this?

Answer:

I am not familiar with this study although I am not surprised by the conclusions. I would suggest starting with PubMed and searching under titles like 'early child development and hypoglycemia'. Much more attention is now being paid to the importance of avoiding hypoglycemia in very young diabetic children; but additionally the associated stress can certainly lead to some motor and cognitive delays.