From Tulare, California, USA:

My daughter is 21 months old and was diagnosed at 11 months. At that time she was on formula (Nutramigen) and not eating solids very well. Upon diagnosis, she had completely stopped eating solids altogether. I have recently discovered that 3 other mothers of children with diabetes have shared with me that their children were also was on Nutramigen. Could that have any contribution to her diabetes? And would she continue to be as "thirsty" now that she is on insulin? She drinks so much water and pees so much, I don't know how I am going to potty train her.

Nutramigen is an infant formula based on a casein hydrolysate for its nitrogen content. So far from precipitating diabetes there is some evidence that it might be protective. The reason for this is that there is now quite good evidence that one of the environmental triggers of the autoimmune process in genetically susceptible children is early exposure to certain cow's milks that contain beta casein A1 and especially this protein together with beta casein B.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Research: Causes and Prevention