Question:

From Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 48 years. Someone told me today they heard on the news that a patch that of insulin could be placed under the skin. I was wondering if you would have any information on this and who could use it.

Answer:

I think that the story has got muddled. The GlucoWatch, an instrument that measures blood glucose and which will hopefully be approved later this year, senses glucose levels via an iontophoresis patch placed underneath the instrument; but on the skin. The MiniMed company is about to produce a sensor that is placed in the subcutaneous tissues; but it is essentially a needle and not a patch.

Posted to Research: Monitoring and Insulin