From Alabama, USA:

I'm a worried 14 year old girl. My grandmother has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the past two years. I'm afraid I have some symptoms of Type 1 diabetes. Can you tell me early symptoms, and how to fight this?

The truth of the matter is that the symptoms of diabetes are the same for type 1 or type 2. Thirst, increased urination, weight loss, and for women, yeast infections.

If it is type 2, obesity is also frequently an issue, and weight loss and exercise are important. If it is type 1, insulin, meal planning, and exercise are all part of treatment, and there are research trials that you might be eligible for.

Additional comments from Kris Swenson, diabetes nurse specialist:

The symptoms of diabetes are usually very noticeable such as increased urination, increased thirst, fatigue, blurred vision, a possibly a fruit smell to the breath. If you feel you have these symptoms, contact your doctor and ask to be tested. A simple blood test can tell you if your blood sugar is normal or not. I would suggest that it is better to know, one way or the other, rather than worry.