From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

Can you please make some suggestions as to some "portable" protein exchanges for my 10 year old Godson? He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 2.

His doctor just increased his protein levels again, and he has a hard time getting them all in as the family of 7 is constantly on the run, with sporting events, school, practices, rehearsals, etc. Also, is it safe to consume string cheese that hasn't been refrigerated for 10-12 hours?

I don't believe I would recommend that string cheese be consumed after it has been unrefrigerated for 12 hours but that depends on the temperature it has been kept at to some extent. You would be better off with peanuts or peanut butter I think. Another source of protein not requiring refrigeration would be meat jerky.

The dietitian on the diabetes team may have other suggestions.