Question:

From Boise, Idaho, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 2. Now he is 4. His teachers and I are concerned about his behavior. He is rude to his teachers and his parents and seems to have an "undercurrent" of anger. We are not sure if this is due to the diabetes regimen or if he is just being a 4 year old. I have heard that after two years of having diabetes, some people go through an emotional adjustment. Do you think that he needs to see a counselor?

Answer:

At age four, I am not sure he has a genuine grasp of diabetes enough to be angry about it, but a pediatric counselor could tell. I think it couldn't hurt to have him evaluated.

CMB

Posted to Behavior