Question:

From Port Huron, Michigan, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 34 years. I have heard about a new insulin called glargine. Can you provide me any updated information on this insulin and if and when it will be available in the US?

Answer:

Glargine is another of the substituted insulins where the amino acid sequence in both the A and B chains of the molecule have been modified. Preliminary clinical trials have shown that this new insulin has a relatively even effect throughout the 24 hours and is equivalent to two doses of NPH. The product is expected to be approved by the FDA in the early part of 2000.