Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My son was diagnosed over a year ago with diabetes type 1. Last week he went to a birthday party for 3 hours without me or his mother. I told the birthday boys' parents that he has diabetes and that he knows what he is to do and not do. He wears a medic alert necklace. Do you think is was right for me to inform the parents?

P.S. He is 12 and very responsible.

Answer:

I think that is fine for you to inform the parents. I think part of parenting a child with diabetes is also being sensitive to your needs as a parent to be sure your child is safe. Since you do seem confident that he is responsible, I think maybe next time you will not need to inform the parents, but again, you are the parent. I applaud your concern for your son.

LSF