Question:

From Sacramento, California,, USA:

My daughter is twelve, type 1, and diagnosed at age two. I regularly test her blood sugar when I wake her at 6 A.M. Recently, her blood glucose was 68 at 6 A.M. I waited to do her insulin shot until she was ready to eat, about 30 minutes later and retested because she felt high. Her number was 250. What could account for such a drastic rise in so short a period of time?

Answer:

We do see the blood sugars going up and down as you describe. There are so many factors involved. Just do the best you can, and don't lose sight of the big picture of how your child is doing overall.

LM

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

Your daughter could have experienced hypoglycemia during the early morning hours and your two tests could have caught the tail end of the hypoglycemia and the resulting rebound. Occasional blood sugar monitoring during the middle of the night will help you determine if there is a problem.

JSH