Question:

From Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:

I am suffering from severe diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Could you please give me detailed literature about the same?

Answer:

Even though neuropathy is a common problem for people with diabetes, it continues to be one of the most challenging to deal with. An explanation of diabetic neuropathy can be found at Diabetic Neuropathy. New research continues to move us towards better treatments for the pain associated with neuropathy but none completely takes it away. As always, normalizing your blood glucose, not smoking, increased exercise -- all improving circulation to the nerves -- will be of some benefit. Adding medications can also help.

I wish you success in treating your neuropathy. Be persistent with your health care team and give various treatments a try if one is unsuccessful.

KS

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

See also On-line Diabetes Resources: Diabetic Neuropathy by David Mendosa.

JSH