From Orlando, Florida, USA:

My 5 year-old daughter's lab work came back with signs that she may have pediatric diabetes (type 1). Could you please tell me how this could affect her daily life (and mine)? What can be done to cure or help her? And how likely is it that this can be fatal? I know almost nothing about diabetes and I am very concerned.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that, at present, has no cure, and results in the body's inability to produce insulin. In order to maintain the health of a person with Type 1 diabetes, a complex daily regimen is required. This regimen includes multiple daily injections of insulin (usually 3 times per day), multiple blood sugar checks (usually 4 to 6 times per day), and consideration of food choices with more scheduled eating times than for individuals without the disease. Type 1 diabetes is fatal if left untreated, as no one can live without insulin. However, once diagnosed, treatment begins immediately and children with diabetes can live long, health lives.

The most important thing that you can do right now is to contact a pediatric diabetes team, schedule an evaluation appointment, and, if your child does have diabetes, to begin your education.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

Visit the Chat Rooms to learn from parents and kids with diabetes.