Question:

From Windsor, Ontario, Canada:

My 8 year old daughter has always been a big water drinker and has been urinating very frequently. She has also gained weight just this past summer, but was eating as usual. However, I've been reading that weight loss is a symptom of diabetes. Should I have her tested?

Answer:

I do not think that it is necessary to test your daughter for diabetes, for one thing weight gain at this stage would be very unusual. If you are particularly anxious though you could ask her paediatrician to obtain a fasting blood sugar level.