From British Columbia, Canada:

My daughter was diagnosed 4 years ago with type 1 diabetes. She is now 8 years old. I would like to know what the Hemoglobin A1C tests results should be. I have been told that 7 mmol. is perfect and that 8 mmol is bad. Is there really that much of a difference?

The hemoglobin A1cinsulin pump or frequent injections, it is difficult to see lower A1cs. We are also concerned about frequent or severe hypoglycemia in young children, and this limits how "tight" the control can be until something like the GlucoWatch or Continuous Glucose Sensor becomes available.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

It should also be noted that HbA1c is almost always measured as a percent, indicating the percentage of total hemoglobin in the body that has sugar hooked onto it, and not in absolute amounts such as mmol.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c