From Somerset, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 26 year old Type 1 diabetic and I was diagnosed 6 years ago. I am currently using an insulin pump with Humalog. I am planning to get pregnant in the near future. What do you consider to be a good A1c number -- prepregnancy? My last was 6.6 -- Should I wait until it is 6.0?

Also, I was seeing an endocrinologist who didn't fear any problems using Humalog. I know that you have been asked this question a few times, but what is the latest and greatest information about using Humalog during pregnancy?

If you can get your hemoglobin A1c into the normal range for your laboratory, that will be fine. I am not aware of any new information regarding Humalog in pregnancy other than the letter from the New England Journal that I have referred to in the past.

[Editor's comment: A recent study (Metabolic and immunologic effects of insulin lispro in gestational diabetes by Lois Jovanovic, et al, Diabetes Care 1999 Sep;22(9):1422-7) concludes that Humalog is safe in pregnancy for women with gestational diabetes. JSH]

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Analogs