Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I was wondering if there is any research out there about childhood diabetes and bipolar disorders. I read through most of the questions in your list about diabetes and behavior and did not see this discussed directly. I am looking for research and resources that look at this area and diabetes and behavior problems in general. I am asking for a boy who is about 9 and was diagnosed a year ago -- I don't know with what type.

Answer:

As far as I am aware, there are no specific studies that look at bipolar disease and diabetes. There is certainly no reason to believe that individuals with diabetes are at increased risk for bipolar disorder, but there is an increasingly large literature that looks at the increased risk of depression in individuals (primarily adults) with diabetes.

With respect to children, there is really no strong evidence of any increased risk for psychopathology.

JWB