From New Jersey, USA:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed Type 1 about 6 weeks ago. I worry a lot about high blood sugars, because I am concerned about long-term effects. But the CDE who works with our endocrinologist says high blood sugars in pre-pubescent children are no big deal, that they do not lead to organ damage or other complications. Is she right?

I certainly understand your concern. I believe that your CDE was explaining that random high sugars that are treated with insulin are not believed to cause problems like long term high sugars. None of us want a child running high all of the time, but the truth is even when you do everything "just right" highs still occur. This can be very disheartening and frustrating for everyone who is working so hard for good control. Keep working with your diabetes team and do the best that you can do. And remember that a kid with diabetes is still a kid!