Question:

I am 26 years old and have had diabetes for 18 years (type 1). My husband and I would like to have a baby and am working on excellent control. I am looking for any current books with information on diabetes and pregnancy. Most I have seen are over $100. It is hard to spend that much without seeing the book. Do you have any suggestions? Also, my diabetes specialist took me "off" the pump stating it was harder to maintain good control during pregnancy while on the pump. I have been getting mixed feedback on this and now am doubting my decision. Any thoughts?

Answer:

Most medical textbooks are expensive. However, you may want to search the web for additional published information about planning a pregnancy.

I think it is possible to have good control of diabetes with or without a pump. If you were doing well using an insulin pump, then I see no reason to stop using it. You may want to discuss this further with your obstetrician and diabetes specialist.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

Also, see Planning a pregnancy for more information.

WWQ

Posted to Family Planning