Question:

From Edison, New Jersey, USA:

I got results to an "insulin" blood test and the level was 267 and the highest normal should have been, I think, 45. What does this mean?

Answer:

You did not give enough information to answer your question. I am assuming you are an adult, and are being evaluated for Type 2 diabetes or other condition related to insulin resistance.

If you take insulin injections, then the insulin level would include the injected insulin. If you don't take insulin injections, and if your blood glucose level is high and your insulin level is high, it would make the diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes more likely. In trying to distinguish between Type 1 diabetes and Type 2, we would also be looking for antibodies to islet cells, insulin and GAD.

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about interpreting the data. Usually we would look at the blood glucose level and the insulin level together, as well as information such as the last time food was eaten.

LM