From Livonia, Michigan, USA:

I am a 43 year old male with Type 2. I am having a little trouble with my vision, mainly with reading or just some trouble focusing in the earlier part of the day. Tell me, is this related to the diabetes or am I just getting old?

Having difficulty with reading is common as we grow older. This condition is called presbyopia. The focusing lens in the eye gradually loses its ability to change focus from distance focus to close focus. It is usually noticed after the 40th birthday and progresses. At first it may seem that some days it is easy to focus and some days not and in the early morning or late evening the focus may be more labored. This has nothing to do with your diabetes although high blood sugar may make the condition more pronounced.

It would be wise to have an eye examination and usually a pair of reading glasses is all that's needed.