Question:

From Gilbert, Arizona, USA:

I am a school nurse working with a child with diabetes. His diet is the carbohydrate counting type. Is there a booklet that lists carbohydrate contents in various foods that I can refer to in cases where there is a special snack at school?

Answer:

You might ask the parents of the child for any references that they use. In addition there as several books available from the American Diabetes Association regarding the carbohydrate food groups. If you are interested in just knowing the carbohydrate grams in foods there is a book called The Diabetes Carbohydrate and Fat Gram Guide also available from the American Diabetes Association. The food labels that are now on most snack type foods can also be useful.

JM