Question:

From Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA:

My 2 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago. He has had a lot of problems with ear infections and tonsillitis. They are now talking about having his tonsil removed. What possible side effects could occur? Would it be worth the hassle in the long run? We are always fighting high and low blood sugars. Are we in a no win situation?

Answer:

Fighting low and high blood sugars in a child that is 2 years old with diabetes is a common problem -- you are indeed not alone in your frustrations. Most pediatricians would agree that the current indications for removing tonsils in a child include frequent episodes of strep throat or other serious infections of the tonsils and obstructive sleep apnea (when a child snores a great deal at night and the tonsils can block the airway until the child coughs or wakes). I would discuss this with your pediatrician and follow their advice. You may wish to visit with the surgeon who will be taking out the tonsils to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of this particular surgery.