Question:

From Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA:

I am a nutritionist at an HMO. One of my colleagues has type 1 diabetes. He asked me if taking vitamin C affects A1c test results. His results have been excellent, he takes good care of himself, and he also takes vitamin C. Do you have any information on this?

Answer:

Conventional supplementary doses of Vitamin C would not directly affect the measurement of Haemoglobin A1c. However, there is some evidence that long term anti-oxidant supplements diminish the incidence of vascular complications especially retinopathy and thus indirectly might improve control and A1c levels.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c