From Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA:

I am a nutritionist at an HMO. One of my colleagues has type 1 diabetes. He asked me if taking vitamin C affects A1c test results. His results have been excellent, he takes good care of himself, and he also takes vitamin C. Do you have any information on this?

Conventional supplementary doses of Vitamin C would not directly affect the measurement of Haemoglobin A1c. However, there is some evidence that long term anti-oxidant supplements diminish the incidence of vascular complications especially retinopathy and thus indirectly might improve control and A1c levels.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c