Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from March 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I was wondering if insulin is coloured. (31 Mar 2000)

2. My friend has become anorexic, believing that taking insulin for her type 1 diabetes will cause her to gain weight. I need to know if this is true, and what type of web sites I can send her to so that she can get more factual information on the subject. (31 Mar 2000)

3. I am a female, 58 years old, and has had diabetes for the last 5 years. I take 80mg of my diabetes pill in the morning and 40mg in the evening. When is it best to take them, before or after meals? (31 Mar 2000)

4. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 several months ago. His antibody test came back positive. If he had another antibody test done, will it be positive again? No ketones were found. (31 Mar 2000)

5. My 3 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her HbA1c was 17.2. Her hospital admission blood sugar was 900, but she was negative for ketones. How is this possible? (31 Mar 2000)

6. My son was diagnosed almost a year ago with diabetes. His sugar level was 350. The doctor didn't know if he was type 1 or 2. It has been 11 months now, and he is on diet and exercise only. (31 Mar 2000)

7. I'd like to know more about Type 1B, MODY, and the various mitochondrial types of diabetes that have been mentioned in other answers. My six year old Caucasian daughter has not required insulin since 4 days after being diagnosed with type 1 a year ago. (31 Mar 2000)

8. My five year old son was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. They trained us to deal with type 1 since he is not overweight and is very active, but after testing his blood, they found no antibodies. I am very confused. Is there some other type besides type 1 and 2? (31 Mar 2000)

9. My 17 year old nephew who has had juvenile diabetes (brittle diabetic) since 2 years old. He has had trouble with his stomach shutting down. They called it some kind of "paresis". Could you please explain this condition, common treatments and usual outcomes? (31 Mar 2000)

10. I have a 14 year old daughter, and lately she has been showing signs of hypoglycemia. These almost always go away when she eats or ingests candy. Should she be tested and what tests should be performed? (31 Mar 2000)

11. My daughter is 6 years old and has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for 14 months. Five months after her diabetes diagnosis, she was put on Synthroid for hypothyroidism, and recently, after 10 months of stomach aches and headaches, she received a positive antibody test for celiac disease. (31 Mar 2000)

12. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 about a year ago. She is 11 years old and complains about bad stomach pain in the upper stomach around the pancreas about once a month. Could it be insulin that causes that or something else? (30 Mar 2000)

13. We have a 30 month old son who was diagnosed with diabetes Type 1 six months ago. We have recently read about an alternative medicine called Yu Xiao San 8805 (Chinese Medicine). Is there any harm in trying this on our son to stabilize his insulin requirement as currently or even possibly reviving his pancreas normal functioning? (30 Mar 2000)

14. My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 7 years now and has been diagnosed with Mauriac syndrome; where do I go for more information? (30 Mar 2000)

15. My 3 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Her sugar levels are so out of control. Sometimes she will eat and times that she will not eat. What can I give her for a supplement if she doesn't eat? (30 Mar 2000)

16. I am 18 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for a year. Recently, my blood sugars have been more responsive to my regular doses of insulin, and I've had to lower my insulin dosages to prevent reactions. Is it possible that I could be having a sort of "honeymoon" after all this time of being diagnosed? (30 Mar 2000)

17. Our 4 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago. He is approximately 70 lbs. I need to know how many carbs, etc. he should be eating. This is very confusing and we don't want to do anything to hurt him. (30 Mar 2000)

18. My boyfriend is type 1 (for 30 years). He eats within a half hour of the 6 P.M. jab and will have a small snack before midnight. He insists he cannot eat out later in the evening as it doesn't fit with this routine. Is there any way to alter this routine? (30 Mar 2000)

19. My daughter, aged 19, will be travelling to Australia for one year. What brands of insulin, and at what strength (U-100?), are available for purchase? She currently uses Novolin U-100. (30 Mar 2000)

20. My brother is 26 and discovered he had diabetes at 15. He takes two shots a day -- but has recently starting getting the night sweats. Does this mean he needs less insulin and how dangerous are night sweats? (29 Mar 2000)

21. I have had diabetes for 30 years; I am now 38 and soon to be having my 30 year anniversary with my Type 1 diabetes. I have been told by a doctor that if I take Glucophage 3 times daily that I will soon enough be able to stop taking insulin altogether. Is this true? (29 Mar 2000)

22. My 11 year old son has type 1 diabetes and has had it for 3 years; he is not doing well at it at all. His numbers are always high. Is there anything we can do? Can he get a transplant or is there something else we can do to keep him from having medical problems in the future? (29 Mar 2000)

23. I'd actually like to respond to a previous question. It is from a mother in Pittsburgh, whose 9 year old daughter was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and is producing insulin at high rates. This is a rare condition, but it happened to me. (29 Mar 2000)

24. My 6 year old daughter has been diabetic for 3 years and is currently taking part in a trial for a new insulin called Biphasic Aspart. I am having trouble locating any studies or reports on the trials which have already been carried out on adults worldwide for this insulin - can anyone help? (29 Mar 2000)

25. I have been insulin dependant for 48 years and reading questions etc. I can't understand blood sugar levels of 100, etc. Are blood sugar readings done differently in the US to Australia? (29 Mar 2000)

26. Ever since I have been taking metformin, I have been in much more of a happier mood. Is it because of the medication? (29 Mar 2000)

27. What is the probability of a IDDM male, diagnosed at the age of ten, having diabetic children in his middle to late twenties? (29 Mar 2000)

28. My 11 year old son has frequent low blood sugar spells. His symptoms are cold sweat, headache, irritability, dizziness, tired, shaky and inability to focus. His doctor does not feel that is related to hypoglycemia. (29 Mar 2000)

29. Our daughter, born 18-01-95, diagnosed 05-98, just started to use Humalog Mix25. Are there any experiences using this type of insulin at young children? (29 Mar 2000)

30. What blood glucose levels are considered normal? Is it between 6-10 mmol/litre? (27 Mar 2000)

31. My 3 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one week after his second birthday. I'm concerned about his cholesterol level and it's significance and implications for a diabetic child. His cholesterol level has stayed around 200 despite our efforts to improve it. (27 Mar 2000)

32. My ten year old has type 1 diabetes. Can iontophoresis be used to deliver insulin through the skin and also to test glucose levels? (27 Mar 2000)

33. My son at 30 hours of life started having seizures, with a glucose level of 20. He has hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinemia. His lowest blood sugar was 19. He was started on diazoxide, and was on it for 16 days. What is the chance of his glucose dropping again? (27 Mar 2000)

34. We had a local child who almost died a few weeks ago at school. The school personnel assumed she was asleep when she really was unconscious due to a diabetic seizure. Now, the school district wants all parents of diabetic children to sign a contract. (27 Mar 2000)

35. At the age of 1, I had my daughter's pediatrician test her for diabetes (she is now 16 months). The reason for the request is that I am a diabetic and my pregnancy was a very long and difficult one with high blood sugars. (27 Mar 2000)

36. My son, 11 years of age, was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. He also has Optic Atrophy. The doctors here think he may have Wolfram's. Is there any doctors or medical center in the South or in the USA that would see our son and help us determine if he truly has Wolfram's? (26 Mar 2000)

37. I have talked to many parents of children with diabetes that have seizures due to lows. Is there a pre-disposition to seizures? Why do some children have them and others don't? (26 Mar 2000)

38. My daughter is 12 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 about two years ago. Just in the past week she has developed a shortness of breath, usually when playing basketball or running. Is this diabetes related? (26 Mar 2000)

39. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eighteen months ago. She was 10 at the time. She had no symptoms such as weight loss or excessive thirst. (26 Mar 2000)

40. My son is 7 years old. We have always lived 500 miles from the nearest diabetes specialists. It has always been difficult for us to see specialists on a regular basis. As time passes I get more and more concerned about my son's health and our testing and record keeping seem to go down hill. (26 Mar 2000)

41. My son was diagnosed a week ago with type 1 diabetes. His blood sugar level was 758 when we brought him in. I have heard that with a level that high he would have a greater chance of organ failure if or should I say when he gets sick. Is that true? (23 Mar 2000)

42. What is the normal range for blood sugar for a 7 year old? Is it the same as adults? (23 Mar 2000)

43. I think I have developed an allergy to fish. Is this somehow related to diabetes, since allergies are immune system reactions, and diabetes can be autoimmune in nature? I thought it was necrobiosis lipoidica, but recently I visited a dermatologist who told me it was nummular eczema (23 Mar 2000)

44. I have an 8 year old son who has been insulin dependent for 3 months. What can be done about before lunch blood sugar readings of 68 and below? (23 Mar 2000)

45. I have a 12 year old daughter I am very concerned about. About six months ago she started having times where, if she ate anything with sugar, she would become very pale and tired. What should I be watching for? What kind of test should I ask the doctors to run? (23 Mar 2000)

46. Can type 1 diabetes (juvenile onset) be avoided if a child follows a healthy diet before the onset of the disease? (20 Mar 2000)

47. My niece is 3 1/2 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. Her blood sugar levels are erratic with swings of 300-400's down into the 30's and this morning's was even lower. (20 Mar 2000)

48. I am a 38 year old male with type 1. I have been a diabetic for 13 years. I have fairly good control and get lots of physical activity. I was offered a job in Italy and am considering moving. I have a large inventory of supplies at home, but was wondering what would be available in Italy. (20 Mar 2000)

49. My boyfriend has juvenile diabetes type 1. He recently proposed to me. I love him very much but I am really scared. (20 Mar 2000)

50. My daughter is 11 years old and has headaches everyday. She has been diagnosed with migraines and low blood pressure. The one thing I have noticed that seems to help is if she eats frequently throughout the day. Is it possible she actually does have a blood sugar problem? (20 Mar 2000)

51. What are the effects, if any, of numerous low blood sugar levels on a 7 year old type 1 diabetic? What would be the appropriate blood sugar level for the school nurse to call home? (20 Mar 2000)

52. My 7 year old son has had diabetes for 5 years now. My problem is our diabetic team. I am searching for a new one. Can you give me a research tool to find a good diabetic team for my son? (20 Mar 2000)

53. My niece is 7 1/2 years old. The school insisted she be tested for ADHD. The doctor agreed with the school and also her mother. Her mother does not want medication and feels that her diabetes is causing her to act ADHD. Is there something safe she can take to help her concentrate and not throw off her diabetes? (20 Mar 2000)

54. Is there any documentation of the use of brewers yeast, chromium picolinate or pyruvate to stabilize blood glucose levels in type 1? Do you know of any benefits/side effects of their use? My daughter is 4 years old; is there an age limit on the use of these supplements? (15 Mar 2000)

55. Our son is 5 years old and was diagnosed 2 months ago. My husband believes that he should know that serious complications could arise -- including death! I think that he is much too young to be given that much information. What are your thoughts? At what age do you believe this amount of information should be given? (15 Mar 2000)

56. Does evening primrose oil raise blood sugar in people with diabetes, or have any other effects in their bodies? (15 Mar 2000)

57. I am a type 1 diabetic interested in getting a insulin pump. However, my parents' insurance won't cover it. I will be getting out of school soon, and get a full-time job, and I want to get a health insurance group that covers pumps and supplies. (15 Mar 2000)

58. My 20 year old was just diagnosed in several months ago with Type 1 diabetes. He is planning a trip to Cancun in a month with friends. What documentation should he take with him so that he can travel safely with his needles and medicine? (15 Mar 2000)

59. I have a 9 year old who has been diabetic for 6 years and a 5 year old who has recently been diagnosed. We were recently asked to take part in a research project and the researchers were asking if there was any family history of thyroid disorders. Is there any link with the diabetes? (13 Mar 2000)

60. My 11-year old daughter had a glucose tolerance test. The first hour, her level was below normal, but the 2nd and 3rd hours were normal. Is this relatively common, or should I be concerned about anything? (13 Mar 2000)

61. I would like to know when would it be appropriate to change insulin types. My daughter is now 2 years old. (13 Mar 2000)

62. I am 17 and have had diabetes for 13 years now. I have recently switched from R to Humalog. I have found that when I have a meal with protein my sugars go high and stay high for most of the day. When I skip the protein my sugars are in the 5-7 mmol range, which is perfect! (13 Mar 2000)

63. My 9 year old son was diagnosed 6 months ago. His management team want his sugar between 100 and 200. Lately, it has been fluctuating from 37-515. We haven't had to change his diet, only paying more attention to carbs. Is this normal? (13 Mar 2000)

64. Six months ago my son was told that he had type 1 diabetes. His readings have been in the 70-90 range. When he exercises he feels sick and gets tired fast. At night his sugar level is in the 40-50 range. He lost 40 pounds since this began. Please offer some insight before my son wastes away. (11 Mar 2000)

65. My 5 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes; she takes insulin shots. I would like to know why her blood sugar fluctuates so much when we make sure she eats correctly at meals and snacks. (11 Mar 2000)

66. Is it possible for microalbumin to be in the blood? (11 Mar 2000)

67. I am a 14 year old female. I have been having a lot of trouble with my morning blood sugars. I always wake up over 15 mmol/L. My parents want me to go on the insulin pump. At first I thought this would be a good idea, but now the thought of having something inside of me all the time freaks me out. (11 Mar 2000)

68. Which peptides, if any, besides amylin and C-peptide, are produced by a healthy pancreas? (11 Mar 2000)

69. I was wondering if there has been any link found between leukemia and Type 1 diabetes. I had leukemia when I was six and was then diagnosed with diabetes at age 11. I have been researching this possible link on the Internet but have not yet found any studies. (11 Mar 2000)

70. Can you give me any information on the protein GAD and how it corresponds to type 1 diabetes? I have a four year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1 about 2 months ago. (8 Mar 2000)

71. I have a four year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1. I was wondering if you have heard of any research done on the GAD protein and how it relates to finding a cure. (8 Mar 2000)

72. I am thinking of using Stevia as a substitute for Nutrasweet for our family. Would you mind expanding on any research that suggests any potential problems with this ingredient? (8 Mar 2000)

73. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 1 diabetes. Her sugars are always high. Right now a pediatrician is controlling her diabetes, but he does not want to refer her to an endocrinologist. What could I do about this situation? (8 Mar 2000)

74. I am interested in starting a support group for my daughter. She is 10 years old and there is none available locally until she reaches 14. Can you suggest how I might get started? (8 Mar 2000)

75. Is there any research concerning the incidence of depression in adolescent diabetics? (8 Mar 2000)

76. A friend has an 8 year old boy diagnosed with type 1 diabetes within the last year. They are having great trouble bringing down his blood sugar levels even with large amounts of insulin. It appears that he is resistant to insulin delivered by subcutaneous injection but that IV injections of insulin are effective. (8 Mar 2000)

77. My 3 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes 6 months ago. He is, we are told, in a honeymoon period. Is there any research or evidence that supplementing his diet with vitamin B will prolong the honeymoon? (6 Mar 2000)

78. My daughter is 7 years old she has had Type 1 diabetes for 3 years now. She is good with taking her shots but she has lumps on her sites. I know you need to move the sites around and she does but she still has lumps on her legs arms and stomach. Will this cause problems and how can I help? (6 Mar 2000)

79. My son of 7 has had diabetes type 1 since 12 months ago. Although he is coping, we are always interested in new ideas that may be able to help him. I have heard that Aloe Vera in its pure form can help considerably with reducing his blood sugar levels. (6 Mar 2000)

80. My father has adult onset diabetes and arthritis. Is it safe for him to take glucosamine sulfate? (6 Mar 2000)

81. Our daughter, aged 5 years, has had type 1 diabetes since she was 2 1/2. The insulin injections sting her quite a lot. Also she gets risen red areas on the injection sites that take a few days to return to normal. Have you ever come across this? (4 Mar 2000)

82. My daughter is 8 years old and has diabetes since she was 2. Just about every night she sleepwalks and talks or yells. I test her from time to time, and her blood sugars are okay. I was wondering if her sleepwalking has anything to do with her diabetes? (4 Mar 2000)

83. My 4 year old has had seizures. All have occurred in the middle of the night. One doctor said that it might be because of diabetes/hypoglycemia. Another doctor said this is not possible. Please help! (4 Mar 2000)

84. My 14 year old son is a freshman in high school. He averages about 10 units of Humalog and 22 units of NPH before breakfast, and 4 units of Humalog before dinner. He eats around 70 to 75 grams of carbohydrate with each meal. Why does he require so much more Humalog before breakfast than he does before dinner? (4 Mar 2000)

85. My daughter, now 8 with type 1 diabetes since 13 months, has had recent series of lows in the morning at school. We have recently begun to give her omega 3 fatty acids supplements. Is there any potential correlation between low blood sugar and omega 3 fatty acids? (4 Mar 2000)

86. I'm a 19 year old Type 1 (diagnosed at 12). I was wondering if my diabetes could have anything to do with the state of my hair. I had it stripped of colour 4 months ago and then dyed, and in three weeks, I ended up with bright orange hair. (4 Mar 2000)

87. My daughter is nine years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 5. These past nine months, she has had HbA1c of 9.9 and 10.2 and been constantly complaining of stomach pain. Could there be something else wrong? (4 Mar 2000)

88. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 weeks ago. I had originally planned on sending her to a private Catholic school but they do not have a nurse available there. How safe is it for my child to attend a school without a nurse? (4 Mar 2000)

89. What is the effect of nighttime and sleep on blood sugar levels in teens? (4 Mar 2000)

90. I am a 25 year old type 1 diabetic. Until recently, I have not been testing my blood sugar levels. I have now stuck with my resolution to test on a regular basis, and have found some results which I don't know how to manage. My main problem lies in early morning hypos which are causing me some distress. (4 Mar 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts