Question:

From Illinois, USA:

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 weeks ago. I had originally planned on sending her to a private Catholic school but they do not have a nurse available there. How safe is it for my child to attend a school without a nurse?

Answer:

This is a difficult question to answer. Many of the public schools these days don't have a school nurse either. If school personnel are willing to learn how to care for child at school, this will work. Remember, you learned how. I would ask if some member of your diabetes team can do the training with you. Our school manual is full of information for just this type of circumstance. If I'm not mistaken, you have a year or two to get comfortable with diabetes before you really need to tackle the school issue. Learn all you can so that you can teach others.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare