Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My 4 year old has had seizures. All have occurred in the middle of the night. One doctor said that it might be because of diabetes/hypoglycemia. Another doctor said this is not possible. Please help!

Answer:

I assume from the way your question is phrased that your son hasn't been diagnosed as having diabetes. However, he doesn't need diabetes to have hypoglycaemic seizures at night. There are a variety of metabolic problems (inborn errors of metabolism of fat and carbohydrate) that are known to be associated with low sugars during the night. It is mandatory that he has a blood sugar checked at the first opportunity when the next seizure occurs. Perhaps your doctor would lend you a blood sugar meter and give some instruction in its use. A urine sample should be collected as soon after as possible for hospital analysis.