From Cappamore, County Limerick, Ireland:

Our daughter, aged 5 years, has had type 1 diabetes since she was 2 1/2. The insulin injections sting her quite a lot. Also she gets risen red areas on the injection sites that take a few days to return to normal. Her paediatrician recently changed her insulin (from Novo-Nordisk Mixtard 30 to Lilly Humulin M3) to see if a different preservative might help. While the risen areas occur far less frequently the insulin still stings a lot. Have you ever come across this to such an extent? Have you any advice, please?

I agree with the change in insulin. It often is the preservative that's the problem. I sometimes suggest the following trick for children that find injections painful. Just before the injection, rub the site with an ice cube for a few seconds. This should make the injection painless and may reduce the inflammatory reaction.