Question:

From Lincolnshire, United kingdom:

My son of 7 has had diabetes type 1 since 12 months ago. Although he is coping, we are always interested in new ideas that may be able to help him. I have heard that Aloe Vera in its pure form can help considerably with reducing his blood sugar levels and can alleviate some of the symptoms of diabetes. Do you have any thoughts on the effectiveness of Aloe Vera for him?

Answer:

I have to say that I have not seen any scientific evidence to support the notion. However, many modern medicines are derived from plants and so there may be something in it. Aloe is highly unlikely to do harm but I certainly couldn't recommend it and your son needs to continue his insulin no matter what else he's on.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations