From Illinois, USA:

I have a four year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1. I was wondering if you have heard of any research done on the GAD protein and how it relates to finding a cure. I received an article that this protein is thought to be linked to the beginnings of a cure.

Would it be helpful to have my other 2 non-diabetic children tested for the antibodies? As far as I know they did not test my daughter for the antibody. We are Caucasian so maybe that is why.

Earlier work in the NOD mouse model had shown that injections of GAD could produce a protective, so called Th2 type of lymphocyte response, to diabetes following injections of GAD. A Swedish firm called DIAMYD has now produced an isoform of GAD called GAD65 and have completed a small Phase 1 study in man as a test of safety. There were no ill effects and a larger Phase II study has begun, I think in Germany, to test safety more thoroughly. If all goes well again the proposal is to carry out a full clinical trial in late onset Type 1A Diabetes in adulthood.

You should consult with your doctor; but yes, it would make sense to carry out an antibody test on the two siblings even though the chance of either of them being positive is only around 5%.

Posted to Research: Cure