Question:

From Illinois, USA:

I have a four year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1. I was wondering if you have heard of any research done on the GAD protein and how it relates to finding a cure. I received an article that this protein is thought to be linked to the beginnings of a cure.

Would it be helpful to have my other 2 non-diabetic children tested for the antibodies? As far as I know they did not test my daughter for the antibody. We are Caucasian so maybe that is why.

Answer:

Earlier work in the NOD mouse model had shown that injections of GAD could produce a protective, so called Th2 type of lymphocyte response, to diabetes following injections of GAD. A Swedish firm called DIAMYD has now produced an isoform of GAD called GAD65 and have completed a small Phase 1 study in man as a test of safety. There were no ill effects and a larger Phase II study has begun, I think in Germany, to test safety more thoroughly. If all goes well again the proposal is to carry out a full clinical trial in late onset Type 1A Diabetes in adulthood.

You should consult with your doctor; but yes, it would make sense to carry out an antibody test on the two siblings even though the chance of either of them being positive is only around 5%.

Posted to Research: Cure