Question:

From Sweden:

1. Which peptides, if any, besides amylin and C-peptide, are produced by a healthy pancreas?

2. When will C-peptide or C-peptide analogues be available for diabetics, do you think?

Answer:

1. Add to your list: Glucagon, Somatostatin and Pancreatic Polypeptide for a start; but you will have to go to PubMed to find out more about them.

2. I am familiar with the work that was done in the Department of Physiology at the Karolinska that suggested that C-peptide might be of clinical value and I had heard that there was a possibility that one of the German pharmacology companies might consider production. So far as the U.S. is concerned I doubt if the effort of production, clinical testing and getting FDA approval would be justified by the promise of rather modest clinical benefit and I know of no such plans.