From Canada:

I am a 14 year old female. I have been having a lot of trouble with my morning blood sugars. I have 30 carbs before bed and take up to fifty units of Humalog N. I always wake up over 15 mmol/L. We tried the NPH but when i woke up my blood sugar was 29. My parents want me to go on the insulin pump. At first I thought this would be a good idea, but now the thought of having something inside of me all the time freaks me out. I sometimes cry when I think about it because to me it is really scary. Are there any other options before the pump? I can't just keep upping my insulin dose.

Have you tried varying the time of NPH? If you take this at around 10 P.M. then you should be able to find a dose that doesn't make you hypo before breakfast. There are certainly a number of options other than the pump. You should discuss your concerns with your diabetes team.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA