From Ohio, USA:

Is it possible for microalbumin to be in the blood? My uneducated medical mind says "yes," and that was our impression when the doctor's secretary called to say that our 20-year-old son (Type 1 since age 18 months) had a positive lab report for microalbumin. After I read previous questions at your website, I asked my son if his internist/endocrinologist had ever taken a 24-hour urine sample. "No." He said that it was his understanding that the results came from a blood test.

The doctor told my son that it is anyone's guess how long it will take for the microalbumin to become more serious. "Maybe he has 15 years, maybe only 3."

All I want is an indication of what "microalbumin" meant.

Microalbuminuria is the medical term for finding tiny (micro) amounts of albumin (a protein) in the urine. There really shouldn't be any and it can be an early indication of diabetes' effects on the kidney to find small amounts. This isn't enough to show up on an ordinary urine dipstick but requires a sensitive test. Although this albumin comes from the blood, you can't detect from a blood test whether the kidneys are leaking.

The progression of microalbuminuria to more serious proteinuria can take many years so there is every reason to try to improve the situation with better blood sugar control and/or other medication if your doctor thinks this is appropriate. The whole point of 'screening' for microalbuminuria is to give time to act before there is a real problem.